- 1415 – The army of Henry V of England defeats the French at the Battle of Agincourt.
- 1944 – Heinrich Himmler orders a crackdown on the Edelweiss Pirates, a loosely organized youth culture in Nazi Germany that had assisted army deserters and others to hide from the Third Reich (no, I hadn’t head of them before either).
- 2006 – The Brandon Show, a weekly college survival televion show, declares “National Zombie Day” across college campuses. College students play Zombies vs. Humans as they count down the days until Halloween.
- 1881 – Pablo Picasso, Spanish painter and sculptor (d. 1973)
- 1959 – Nancy Cartwright, American voice actress (i.e. Bart Simpson)
- 2004 – John Peel, British disc jockey (b. 1939)
UPDATE: As Peter requests below, the date is of course 25 October.